Personal Care

To receive personal care services for the person you care for from your local authority, or receive payments to allow them to choose who will provide these services, you should contact their local Health and Social Care Services to have their care needs assessed. The types of personal care provided and cost will vary according to the persons assessed care needs and age (as personal is free to anyone aged 65 and over).

They will assess their:

  • Personal Hygiene, Continence Management, Food and Diet, Problems with Immobility, Counselling and Support, Simple Treatments, Personal Assistance

The following care services may be chargeable:

  • Help with housework, Laundry, Shopping, Services out with your home such as day care centres or lunch clubs, cost of supplying food or pre-prepared meals is chargeable, but support with preparing meals will be provided free

The council can arrange these services but they are subject to a financial assessment.  You can contact your Local Authority to arrange an assessment for the person you care for or contact Carers Centre staff who can refer on your behalf.