Paying for Care

The person you care for may be charged for your Care at Home Service. The charge is based on their circumstances including their ability to pay. If aged 65 years or over then they will not be charged for any personal care services, such as assistance with meals, personal hygiene and mobility. These tasks are chargeable if the person you care for is under 65 years of age. Help with domestic tasks such as shopping, housework, paying bills are chargeable for all service users. They will also receive a financial assessment to ensure that they are receiving all benefits and entitlements due to them.

Reablement is a part of the care and support at home service. It is designed to assist people to remain as independent as possible, by supporting them to regain their daily living skills and confidence, following a period of illness, accident or disability.  If the person you care for is in hospital they may be referred to the Reablement team through the hospital discharge team.

You can contact Inverclyde Advice First at Hector McNeil House to discuss a referral to the service or staff at Inverclyde Carers Centre can help by providing information or referring on your behalf.

Self-Directed Support

If the person you care for is assessed as needing a service, Self Directed Support (SDS) gives them the choice of four options to help organise their support. SDS is about helping people who need support and their Carers to have as much choice and control as possible over how their support is planned and provided.

Self-Directed Support lets the person arrange some or all of the support themselves instead of receiving services arranged by your Local Authority. It is not an additional benefit but a way in which their support is managed.

Self-Directed Support allows the person to receive the support they need from a provider they have chosen, helping to increase the flexibility, choice and personal control of their care arrangements.

If you think that Self Directed Support might be an option for the person you care for, you can contact your Local Authority for information or speak to staff at Inverclyde Carers Centre for more information.

If the person you care has care needs or a disability there are benefits to help them manage with the extra costs.

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for children may help with the extra costs of looking after a child who is under 16 and has difficulties walking or needs more looking after than a child of the same age who doesn’t have a disability.

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) helps with some of the extra costs caused by long-term ill-health or a disability if you’re aged 16 to 64.  The rate depends on how the condition affects that person and not the condition itself.

Attendance Allowance helps with personal care because of a physical or mental disability and being aged 65 or over.  It’s paid at 2 different rates and how much depends on the level of care the person needs because of their disability.

If you would like further information we can arrange an appointment with Financial Fitness who have a surgery within the Carers Centre for advice or provide further information on any of these benefits.